Hiking the Estates of Irvington with Rare Access to Octagon House Property
sam. 6 avril à 16:45
Tickets: $25 - 29 Click the link below to register for this event: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hiking-the-estates-of-irvington-with-rare-access-to-octagon-house-property-registration-55883612389 Hike on top of New York City's first aqueduct with a chance to access the private grounds of one of the world's most incredible (and unusual) houses. Join New York Adventure Club ( https://www.nyadventureclub.com/ ) for an exclusive five-mile guided hike, tour, & exploration through the historic mansions, estates, and landmarks along portions of the Old Croton Aqueduct, New York City’s first water supply system built between 1837 and 1842. Led by a member of the Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduct, our hike through the estates of Irvington will include: • A brief discussion around the Croton Aqueduct and its importance to the growth of NYC
• Stops along the trail to point out historic sites & structures including the Nevis Estate (former estate of Alexander Hamilton’s son) and aqueduct ventilators
• Rare access on to the private grounds of properties like the Armour–Stiner "Octagon" House to see the modern-day dollhouse from up close
• A chance to go inside the gold-leafed Tiffany Reading Room in downtown Irvington, which is usually closed on weekends
This relatively flat hike should take around five hours, so please bring comfortable shoes, water, and snacks. Food/snacks to bring on the hike can be found in the town of Dobbs Ferry, our first destination on the hike. Restrooms can be found at the beginning, middle, and end of our hike. Click here to see pictures from one of our last hikes through the estates of Irvington!
( https://nyadventureclub.com/gallery/28107802 ) See you there! * This ticket does not include transportation — please see below for more details
** This experience does not go inside the Octagon House Itinerary: • 10:45am — Meet at the Keeper's House (a short walk from the Dobbs Ferry train station)
• 11:00am — Begin first leg of hike on Old Croton Aqueduct trail (Nevis Estate, Octagon House, Tiffany Reading Room)
• 1:00pm — Snack 1:30pm — Begin second leg of hike on Old Croton Aqueduct trail (Villa Lewaro, Belvedere, and Lyndhurst Estates)
• 4:00pm — Arrive back in downtown Irvington, hike complete! Actual times may vary Transportation: Please double check train departure times the day before as schedules can shift due to track work By Public Transit: Take the Hudson Line Metro-North Train departing at 9:48am from Grand Central Terminal, and disembark at the Dobbs Ferry Station at 10:30am. The Keeper's House is a five-minute walk from the train station. Metro-North tickets can now be purchased via your smartphone — click here for more details ( http://www.mta.info/mta-eTix-promo ). A round-trip ticket can be purchased to/from Irvington since Dobbs Ferry is the same price. Trains from Irvington Station depart for GCT roughly every 30 minutes. By Car: We recommend that attendees traveling by car who want to park at our final destination of Irvington, board the GCT bound Metro-North Train departing at 10:17am, which arrives at Dobbs Ferry Station at 10:25am. Categories: Tours, Active, Hidden Spots, Historic Sites, Social
Nous avons temporairement désactivé la possibilité de naviguer vers les tags.